Thursday, March 25, 2010

Barley Brownies

This week's CSA gave me a bounty of Barley flour. I've used a whole slew of grain flours but can't recall ever using barley in baking before. So I did some online sleuthing and discovered the awesomeness of barley flour recipes! :-)

This afternoon I baked up a small batch of Bob's Red Mill Barley Brownies. I LOVE carob - both chips and powder - so this was quite the treat for my tastebuds. I used Himalayan salt instead of sea salt and added a smidgen more chopped walnuts than the recipe called for.

I'd love to find a version that doesn't include a half cup of vegetable oil, it seemed a little overkill for that much oil. Maybe I'll experiment with some oil and applesauce ratios...or do another google search.

(image Copyright David Thomson)

No comments: