Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bakeday!

The weather people promised a warm Sunday. But it's kinda' poopy outside - cloud cover with the occasional snow flake drifting down. This is baking weather!

Last night I was dreaming of cinnamon raisin toast and stumbled onto this recipe. Homemade Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal bread? Umm, yes please!

While I was prepping my ingredients and soaking the currants (I prefer dried currants to raisins), and oats I had fond memories of making cinnamon rolls dancing in my head. Mom, my sisters and I would make oodles of cinnamon rolls from wheat berry to sink-your-teeth into these tasty confections. I do miss the assembly-line style of cooking and baking en mass so heaven help me when I start baking for just the two of us! lol.


First rise of the bread - enough for five loaves (don't worry, I freeze and give away a ton of food!)

See?


While waiting between the 3-1/2 hours of rising the bread takes I finally got around to doing something with my bag of Teff. I was up at the Natural Food Exchange a few weeks ago and noticed this grain looked like a good source of iron (something I get pretty excited about as a vegetarian). But I've never made anything with Teff so I consulted our dear Bob's Red Mill website for something creative to do with an obscure grain. Sure enough, there was a recipe I had all of the ingredients for! Carob Teff Cookies. You rock Bob!

I used my store bought Teff and my CSA barley flour in this recipe plus some honey when my molasses came up a little short. The texture of the batter was a little granular with the Teff - sort of like a coarse cornmeal had been added.



Bob says to drop the batter onto the cookie sheet in small spoonfulls. I opted to roll them into small balls instead, and I think they look much nicer out of the oven:


I'm going to sit down with a glass of Thai Tea and a couple of cookies!

No comments: