Friday, October 8, 2010

Crocktober: Fresh Ham Roast


We're Fall meat shareholders with 8 o'clock Ranch out of New York state, and in this month's box we got a 2-3/4 pound fresh ham roast. I scoured the internet for a recipe for slow cooker ham roast and didn't find anything that really jumped out at me. After reading several recipes ranging from Paula Deen to Chowhound I came across a short and simple recipe involving apples and brown sugar, sounds like a perfect fall dish to me!

Recipe:
1 fresh ham
1/2 cup brown sugar
sliced apples (I used two medium and one small apple)
ceramic slow cooker

Spray the slow cooker lightly with an olive oil or vegetable oil spray. Place the ham in the bottom of the cooker and sprinkle the brown sugar over the top. Wash and slice the fresh apples and arrange around the sides of the ham. Slow cook for 8-10 hours on low or for 4-6 hours on high.

I'll be serving this with homemade mashed potatoes using the potatoes from the farm CSA box and the cooked apples.

No comments: