Friday, October 1, 2010

Crocktober: October 1st - Purple Rice Pudding

I love using stoneware slow cookers this time of year! Bubbling liquids, wafting aromas and big batches of produce to "put-by" for use later in the season.

Today's recipe is inspired by Judith Finlayson's The Vegetarian Slow Cooker.

What you'll need:
1-1/2 cups Thai Sticky Rice (I'm using purple)
4 cups of water
1/2 cup of sweetener (I'm using vegan cane sugar, but I'll bet honey would be awesome!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt (optional)
1 can of coconut milk (I like Thai Kitchen's unsweetened coconut milk)
Fresh fruit and nuts for topping

I brought the water and rice to a boil in a saucepan on the stove top, boiling for two full minutes on high. Then removed it from the heat to stir in the sugar and vanilla and a tiny pinch of sea salt.

With the slow cooker setup I gave it a quick spray of cooking oil to prevent sticking and then poured the hot, purple liquid in to cook. You can cook this on either a high setting, or start it at night to cook through to morning! I bet this would make an awesome breakfast dish with a touch less sugar.

Once it has finished cooking in the slow cooker add the coconut milk and stir thoroughly. Serve with pieces of fresh or dried fruit like banana and mango and some toasted almond slivers or a sprinkling of flake/shredded coconut. Yum!

No comments: